Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Vamping it Up

You practically have to be living in a bubble if you didn't realise everything Vampire was very, very hot right now. With the movie launch tomorrow of the third installment of the Twilight saga, Eclipse, I knew it was a matter of time before I got an enquiry at work about someone wanting something a little vampish.

I am not going to lie here, I am a fan. I came to the phenomenon a little later than most, only seeing the first two films this year & reading the third & fourth books this month. Once these vampires sink their teeth into you, it is a little addictive. I don't have a teenage daughter to hide my fanatical tendencies behind, but on merit I don't think I need one. The books are well written & easily suck you right in. I am a huge Jane Austen fan & I see much of her influence across the entire saga & Stephanie Meyer has been quoted in saying that each one of her novels draws upon a Austen novel for inspiration.

Bella's Famous Mittens

So where does the knitting come in you ask? Mittens initially. Namely those famous 'Bella Mittens'. Designed by Ruth Cross, she had no idea her mittens had been purchased by the production studio until just after the first Twilight film was released, then her website became inundated by requests for "Bellas Mittens". If you fancy knitting your own Bella-rific mittens, this a an excellent pattern available for free.

Alice's Wrist Warmers from New Moon

A quick Google search reveals a wealth of other Twilight inspired knits. The quirky Alice Cullen donned a pair of wrist warmers in New Moon, & another dedicated Twi-hard knitters carefully nutted out the pattern to Rosalie Cullens classic scarf.

Rosalie's Scarf

There have also been knits that have been inspired by the saga, one of my personal favourites are these Eclipse socks, combining the film & book cover imagery. From my own designs, my Ever After gauntlets could easily translate into some Twilight-ish, I knitted a pair for our nanny Coralie in Midnight Blue, very Twilight!


If you are a Ravelry member, just pop 'Twilight' into the pattern search & hold on tight at all that is on offer.

Coralies 'Twilight' Ever After Gauntlets

Am I going to the one minute past midnight screening tonight I hear you ask? Nope, this old vamper needs her beauty sleep, I'll just have to sate my blood lust with the season opener of True Blood 3 instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment