Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Yarn Genesis

Just one of the sections at the Gisborne A&P Knitting Display

When you spend a lot on time online in places like Ravelry it's easy to think that the vast majority of knitters are progressive, adventurous, fearless crafters. I am always in awe at the simple brilliance of these souls that produce beautiful garments, using stunning yarns & advanced techniques - I am frankly jealous! I would so dearly love to have the time to hone my skills & be able to focus my attention to produce a minute fraction of what I see. It is then I have to pinch myself & get back down to earth. As a busy mum with two pre-school boys' and two part time jobs, I need to be realistic at when my time will start freeing up.

Also working in the yarn industry in one of my part time roles, has meant I also get to see the other side of the 'crafty customers', the ones who aren't net savvy, have been knitting for about 60+ years & have committed to memory a slew of patterns that have not altered in generations. To me these ladies (not to be sexist - have yet to see a man yet who falls into this category) are what I like to call the "Yarn Genesis". They are the women that I learnt from as a child. Many started knitting as children or teens themselves for servicemen in WWII. They call yarn "wool", it comes in two types: Baby Knit or Double Knit, and they very rarely buy patterns as their stash of Kaiapoi, Patons, Shepherd, or Paragon leaflets are so timeless they last forever. I love these women. They drive me crazy in the shop when I try to convince them NOT to knit white for newborns, but other than that these ladies are, for me, knitting treasures.

I was so pleased to see at the Gisborne A&P Show this past week a very healthy range of entries in the home crafts hall, and the hand knits on display were stunning. There were a few new names on the cards, but by in large the names were still the same ones from my childhood. It has spurred me to think that when my time does free up, I need to keep their legacy alive & make sure I knit for these events - Just maybe not a white baby cardy!

PS I am still trucking on with the shrug - determined to get it knocked off this long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment