Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Scrap Happy.


The' Scraps Bag Blanket' get started last night
KAN is been and gone, Spring has arrived and the entire MacBuscke household is gearing up to year end. It's a planning time at work and a time I start undertaking projects that are more about 'mental holiday' than mental breakdown!
The shrug knitted for a friend toddler with the leftovers from my RWC project.
When you are a prolific knitter, as I am, the inevitable happens... Leftovers and scraps.
Anything from two or three balls from a garment project or half a ball or a wee butterfly of colour surviving after a nail biting round of yardage chicken. It's rare that you don't end up with some scraps after your yarn meal.


I recycle the wool scouring bags that arrive at the mill for project and scrap bags.
Mine end up in a cotton wool scouring bag, and if I'm honest, there's more than one rolling around my stash cupboard. I give a massive amount away, especially the smaller amounts, to my aunt who loves knitting these incredible baby and children's beanies for families of the East Coast, north of my home town of Gisborne. She's knitted hundreds of them and they are so well received. Others knit charity blankets or the classic fish and chip jumpers.


Just a small sample of the incredible beanies knitted by my aunt.
For me, I decided several years ago to use all those scraps to knit or crochet projects to make our own home comfortable. There is something very homely and special about items made for comfort, made by you, in your home for the pleasure of your family and friends. They grace the backs of our couch, on the couch, on the beds and loved by myself, the boys' and the animals of our home in equal measure.


Just a couple of the 'Scrappy' projects from last summer.
The thought of knitting in a NZ Summer isn't for all, for me the ritual of doing some yarn craft at night is very much part of my evening 'sleep hygiene' routine and during the school holidays, having a project in my bag to whip out at the beach, pool or over the festive break is welcome. Much talk has been around 'mindfullness' like it is something very new or trendy, but as crafters we all know, and have known for generations, that this is so much more than a 'quaint pastime', I am just so pleased that the mainstream have now caught up. Whatever brings you to the yarn craft door, we will always welcome you with open arms, needles, hooks and yarn!


This is the blanket from a couple of years ago - it is my son's favourite.
So as the sunshine days become longer and brighter, a cotton bag had been retrieved, a hook dusted off and the beginnings of an organic square design started. This as mindfullness and as long as a glass of chardonnay is attached - I'm happy!


One of my first 'scrappy' projects - a log cabin cushion.

No comments:

Post a Comment